Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My Nemesis... The Migraine

I am plagued by migraine headaches. Today was my first day back to work after Snowmageddon 2011. My day started like all the rest at the gym. I had a great chest, back and abs workout with the guys. Then I got the boys ready and off to school. Then I headed to work. My day was booked solid with experiments, paperwork, Valentine's Day lunch with Ross and meetings. Before I got to the first experiment, I knew I was getting a migraine. By the time I made it to lunch I was feeling sick. But what are you supposed to do? I can't drop everything every time I have a headache (which sometimes can be once or twice a week)! After lunch I knew I had to take evasive action... 2 Excedrin Migraine and a large Sonic coke! Sometimes this combination will halt the oncoming headache; mainly because the caffeine content acts as a vasodilator. All those calories for NOTHING!!!! However, I did get an awesome neck and shoulder rub out of it!!

I finished the day with a meeting with the Hunger Relief and Nutrition committee of the Junior League of NWA (a subject for another day). I still have a migraine but over all today has been a great day.

I was reminded today while longing for a quite dark room, of by far one of the best teachers I have ever had Mrs. DeMaine. Mrs. DeMaine was one of my 9th grade teachers. She was a wonderful teacher!! I started having migraines in the 9th grade. Once the migraine developed I could not function for the rest of the day. The only way I could recover was to sit in a quite dark room, have a coke and wait for it to pass. Mrs. DeMaine would buy me a coke, write me an excuse for class and allow me to stay in her room during her open period of the day. She was a lifesaver!! My Mom, still to this day, says she doesn't know how we would have made it through the 9th grade without Mrs. DeMaine!! So thank you Mrs. DeMaine! I needed you today!

I hope everyone had a wonderful V Day!! Even with a terrible migraine mine was amazing!

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Amanda!
    What a wonderful surprise to find out that one of my favorite students of all times included me in her blog! (I feel sort of famous now!) You were such a great kid and it was obvious to all that you were not trying to get out of work and that you were in so much pain. I am so sad though to find out that these migraines are still bothering you. Two of my girls also suffer with migraines. I have only had a few. With the first migraine I had, I called my doctor to inform him that I had a brain tumor! I just knew that had to be what was wrong. I can't imagine what it would be like to have them as often as you have.
    I love this blog! You always were a writer and I am glad that you are using your talent to help deal with life. Now that I have found your blog, I hope to be a faithful reader. I will include you and your family in my prayers, Amanda. Psalm 91 is great-She who dwells in the secret place of the Most High will abide under the shadow of the Almighty (now there is a nice quiet place!) much love! Sue DeMaine

    ReplyDelete